Washington Week 15 - Broken Car, Broken Phone, Broken Heart

I'm going to start out this week's email with this scripture:

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

I've been thinking a lot lately about ways that I can improve myself, so that I can become a better missionary and person. This scripture is so. real. If we ask Heavenly Father to show us our weaknesses, he will always let us know. I remember one night a few weeks ago I was praying, and I accidentally asked Heavenly Father if he would help me be humble ... I immediately realized my mistake, but I couldn't take it back! I think that because He was more than willing to humble me, lots of humbling things have happened since then.

Since that request, we've been blessed with a broken car (which is still not back from the shop), lots of icy snow to walk through, and a puddle that our phone managed to fall in last night. But that's not all!



Sister Holmes has been an amazing trainee. I don't know how I got so lucky to have her! But OF COURSE it was too good to last ... Last night after our phone fell in the puddle and wasn't working, we put it in a bucket of rice to dry off over night. This morning, it miraculously started working! But we saw that we missed a call from President Lewis! We started freaking out. I knew in my heart what was going to happen because we heard rumors of an emergency transfer taking place with another companionship in our zone. We called him back this morning, and he told us that I'm going to be transferred to Mission Ridge Ward to finish another sister's training. Sister Christensen (my last companion) is going to be coming back from Othello to finish training Sister Holmes. We were so bummed this morning! I have to pack up all my stuff today and tomorrow I'm heading over to the neighboring area to train Sister Danger. (Yes, that is her actual name.)

Needless to say, I've been humbled, and I know that it's for my good. With a more "broken heart and contrite spirit," I know that Heavenly Father will be more able to mold me into who I'm supposed to be.

I'm so sad to be leaving my baby and this awesome area, but I know that this call came from the Lord. He's doing it for a reason! It's going to be an interesting transfer. Since Sister Danger is brand new, it's pretty much like we're white washing this area, which I'm actually kind of excited about. It's always fun to make thing happen!


I've been lucky to have some tender mercies happen this week though! Nick got baptized! It was an amazing service. There's such a special spirit at those convert baptisms.



Another experience we had that highlighted our week was getting to deliver a Secret Santa gift. There's a lady in the ward with five kids who was recently baptized earlier this year. Her husband just lost his job. Another woman in the ward called us on Friday and asked us if we would be able to deliver a jar of money to her, but she wanted it to be kept anonymous.

Of course we would! We got a ride to her house, and she welcomed us in. We gave her the jar and when she saw what was in it, she just broke down in tears. She told us she had been having the worst day ever and she was just in shock. We actually saw her the next night at the ward Christmas party, and she told us that later that same day, another Secret Santa gift showed up with about the same amount of money!

It was a testimony to me of the importance of our church family, and about how Heavenly Father is aware of each of us. We are put into people's lives to be His hands in reaching out to meet the needs of all of His children.





There's a special spirit around this Christmas season. I hope that you all can feel it and look for someone to help this week!
Love,
Sister Skousen

Post a Comment