WA Week 20 - Yielding Our Hearts to God

Hello everyone! It's been a great first week of the transfer. Lots of fun stuff is happening. 





I swear, our zone has the best sisters in the mission. I had so much fun with the Eastmont sisters for a couple days. They were in heaven driving around in our car. It was fun getting to see all the Eastmont people again. I got to teach Aldo and he's doing great! I'm really hoping that he'll get to go to the temple later this year so that I'll get to be there.

We had a weird situation with an investigator named Louie who's on date to be baptized. Because of the Law of Chastity, President Lewis told us Louie would have to move out of the place where he's living with a female roommate. We were a little nervous about telling him and about how his roommate would respond, since we were thinking they were living together for financial reasons. But then we got a call from the bishop that the roommate kicked Louie out! The Eastmont sisters and I went and met with Louie at a Motel 6, which Sister Van Orden said was something that was on her mission bucket list. We can now say that we taught someone at a motel.



So we dodged that bullet, but the bad news is that Louie moved down to Yakima so different missionaries are going to be teaching him :( BUT, if we can get a ride down there, I'll be able to attend his baptism! So things should work out.

This is my new companion, Sister Torman ---



She's so sweet. She actually just came from being trained by Sister Wilson in Moses Lake. She's a little sad after leaving her first area. I'm technically "greenie-busting" her. 

It's been weird after all this crazy stuff that's happened last transfer ... emergency transfers, holidays, Sister Danger going home, STLs living with us for a week ... Things are starting to slow down and I'm just now realizing how much I need to get back my focus. On Saturday we went down to a baptism in Moses Lake that took up most of the day. When we came back we went straight to dinner, and then afterward we were going to knock on some doors, but neither of us wanted to at all, so we decided to go try an old investigator instead. We ended up meeting with her and things worked out, but something about deciding not to knock those doors really made me feel guilty. I felt like I put what I wanted to do in front of what the Lord wanted me to do. The next day at church, I thought a lot about that, and resolved that knocking on those doors, no matter how much I don't want to do it, should be my offering to the Lord. This mission shouldn't be about me, after all. Right after church, we went to a street to tract before dinner, and even though we didn't really want to, we did it. And a miracle happened! The second door we knocked on was a lady who seems totally prepared to hear the gospel. She let us in, and told us that over Christmas an old boss of hers (who's a member of the Church) gave her a book written by an LDS author that she loves. She's been through a lot of difficult things and has a lot of faith. Before we even knew what was happening, she was inviting us to come back later this week. I felt like I was walking on clouds. It was a testimony to me of how Heavenly Father always gives us another chance to follow him, no matter how many times we mess up or how far from him we are. The blessings of peace that come from the Atonement are available for us as soon as we give our hearts to Him.

This week, I'm going to try focusing on this scripture a lot more -

"Nevertheless they did fast and pray oft, and did wax stronger and stronger in their humility, and firmer and firmer in the faith of Christ, unto the filling their souls with joy and consolation, yea, even to the purifying and the sanctification of their hearts, which sanctification cometh because of their yielding their hearts unto God." - Helaman3:35

I'm going to work harder to forget myself, and I know that more miracles will come!

Thanks for following along on this journey of mine. Until next time ...

-Sister Skousen

Post a Comment