WA Week 36 - The Errand of Angels

Good Monday, everyone!. What a fun week it's been! Almost half the week was a holiday.
I hope that you all had a great May the Fourth Be With You, Cinco de Mayo, and Mother's Day!

On May the Fourth I got to spend the day in Yakima on exchanges with the awesome Sister Smith. Sister Smith and I came out to the mission field together so it was fun to be with her again. Exchanges are some of my favorite days of the transfer. It's so great being able to learn from other sisters and receive revelation and ideas about how I can help my own area and investigators.


Cinco de Mayo was really big in Sunnyside! The main square of town shuts down, and there's all kinds of games and shops and a carnival that are set up.  On Friday night, before we went in, we went and got some carnival food. 



Saturday was awesome because we had zone training meeting in Yakima, 
and then came back to Sunnyside for Esther's baptism!

Look at all of the missionaries that got to be a part of it!

I don't know if I explained this before, but Esther was the very first person Sister Mork and I talked to in Sunnyside. That first day, we had no clue where we were going. We didn't even have a map. We just went outside and walked around and saw Esther outside her apartment. We started talking to her, she came to church the next Sunday, and the rest is history!

Now that Esther and Brittany have been baptized, we are having to focus on helping our current investigators progress and finding investigators who are ready to progress. We've been able to meet and get referrals for a few different people this week who seem really solid.

One of the best moments of the week was when we met this lady named Lori. We knocked on her door, she let us in, we taught her a brief overview of the Restoration and the Book of Mormon, she agreed to have us come back, and we asked her if we could say a prayer with her. After we said the prayer, we opened our eyes and saw that she was in tears. She said, "It's funny that you showed up when you did. I've been having a really tough week and today was especially hard." We went back and saw her on Saturday and she told us that the reason she was so emotional when we went by is because earlier that week, she and her kids left her husband of 19 years because she had been wanting to grow closer to God and he was against it. It was an amazing thing to witness God's hand in leading us to a lady who is so prepared and in need of the gospel.

Yesterday was a fantastic day because it was Mother's Day, which meant that I got to Skype my family! It was good to see them again. We also had an amazing church service. I was reminded how lucky I am to have such a wonderful mother and great examples of women in my life. 

We sang the song, "As Sisters in Zion," and I love the lyrics:

"As sisters in Zion, we'll all work together;
The blessings of God on our labors we'll seek.
We'll build up his kingdom with earnest endeavor;
We'll comfort the weary and strengthen the weak.
The errand of angels is given to women;
And this is a gift that, as sisters, we claim:
To do whatsoever is gentle and human,
To cheer and to bless in humanity's name.
How vast is our purpose, how broad is our mission,
If we but fulfill it in spirit and deed.
Oh, naught but the Spirit's divinest tuition
Can give us the wisdom to truly succeed."

I'm so grateful to have the opportunity to serve as a sister in Zion and to be on the "errand of angels."

Thanks for following along on my journey. I'll talk to you next week!

Love,
Sister Skousen

1 comment

  1. She looks so happy. I'm so glad you got to skyp to talk to each other. So very special.

    ReplyDelete