WA Week 40 - Becoming

Hello everyone! I hope you've all had a wonderful week. It's been pretty busy here!

And hot. Like in the hundreds.

I've come to the realization that whatever season it is, I'll probably serve in the part of the mission with the most extreme weather. In the winter I was in the coldest part of the mission, and now in the summer, I'm in the hottest part.

To make things worse, there's this beautiful tempting LAKE taunting us wherever we go.

Uhhhh ...


One thing that I'm having to adjust to as an STL is all of the meetings!  On Wednesday,
we had our Mission Leadership Council down in Yakima like 2 hours away. We drove down with some zone leaders who ended up taking a wrong turn and we accidentally left the mission and showed up half an hour late to the meeting. It was really good though! It was so much fun seeing all of the other missionaries that I don't get to see very often.




MLC took pretty much all day long. Then on Thursday and Friday we drove to three different zones for their Zone Leadership Councils, and Saturday we had a zone training meeting. To top that off Sister Hirsche hasn't been feeling too well so we had to stay in a couple times. So I still don't feel too familiar with my area yet, which has been hard, but one thing Sister Hirsche mentioned that I've seen is true is that even though we have to dedicate a lot of time to our leadership responsibilities, the Lord always makes it possible for us to maintain our area. We've had days where we have only a few hours to proselyte and we would have some pretty incredible things happen. We found some awesome people, got solid referrals, and had good lessons.

This week's probably going to be even crazier. Elder Daniel L. Johnson of the seventy (my cousin!) is coming to the mission, so on Thursday we have a zone conference in WENATCHEE (!!!) and Fridaywe have a special MLC with Elder Johnson in Yakima. We're also going on my first two exchanges this week, but I'll be staying in my area both times which will be good for me getting to know the area and people. Our first exchange is going to start tonight! It's going to be interesting.

One thing the mission has been focusing on lately at all of the meetings has been the idea of "Becoming." In life we are always changing, and we can either be changed accidentally or deliberately. Since I just passed the halfway mark in my mission I've thought a lot about who I've become since I've been out and who I want to become before I leave. I've thought a lot about all of the missionaries that I've admired and I've realized that the best missionaries aren't the ones who have incredible numbers, but have Christlike qualities. There are so many things that are out of my control in the mission. I don't really have control of who listens to us or how many people decide to be baptized, but I do have control of myself, and at the end of the mission and my life, the person that I've become is what will matter most.

I remember this quote that really affected me at the beginning of my mission by Elder Richard G. Scott:

"We become who we want to be by consistently being who we want to become each day."

This week was a great reminder of that, and I'm going to try and be more diligent at being the missionary that I want to become.

As always, thanks for reading! I'll talk to you next week.

Love,
Sister Skousen


Post a Comment