WA Week 43 - It's True or It's Not

Yesterday marked 10 months since I entered the MTC. It's crazy how fast time's gone by.


One of my favorite things about serving in Washington is all of the fruit! 
It's cherry season right now, and I'm not normally a fan of cherries, but fresh Washington cherries are soooo goood.


This week has been pretty good. We haven't had a ton of incredible things happen, but it's been pretty solid. Sister Hirsche's felt a lot better so we were able to go out and work! It's felt like we've just contacted a lot of people this week. It was more of a scheduling week than a teaching week. BUT, the great thing about it is that we've got a lot of return appointments set up for this week. Except we're going on FOUR EXCHANGES this week! 
We tried to spread them out over the course of the transfer, but for one reason or another sisters have had to reschedule, so this last week of the transfer I'm going to be out of my area more than in it.

Another interesting thing that happened this week is that Hermana Oliva got an ulcer! It was right after Sister Hirsche started feeling. The poor hermanas have stayed in allll week.


 There's been some cabin fever going around our apartment and things have been pretty crazy, but it's been fun.


We had a lesson with a lady named Beatrice and an awesome member who was out teaching with us. When we were teaching her about how Joseph Smith saw God and Jesus Christ, she said, "Wow. Doesn't it say in the Bible that no man can look upon God?" Immediately my mind went to scriptures that support this happening, but before I could think of what to say, our member just said, "It's a pretty bold thing to say isn't it?" 
"Yeah," said Beatrice. And then our member said, "And it's either true or it's not. It either happened or it didn't. And wouldn't you like to know if it really did happen?" Beatrice was just like, "Wow. Yeah, I guess I would." I was amazed at the simplicity and power of that statement. It wasn't about getting it to make logical sense to her. It was about helping her gain a testimony, or at least helping her have the desire to gain a testimony.

It's so true. People are going to argue about whether or not Joseph saw what he said he saw. People are going to argue about whether the Book of Mormon is legitimate or not. But it's either true or it's not. And my testimony is that you CAN find out that's it true. You CAN find out that the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the universal plan for all of God's children to be happy, has been restored in its fullness to the Earth by a loving Heavenly Father through a living prophet. It's true. I know it is, because I've read the Book of Mormon, I've spent hours studying it and praying about it, and I've gotten my answer. And I know that there's no way that the Book of Mormon could have been brought forth unless it was brought forth by the power of God. Do you understand how powerful having a testimony of that is?! No argument or excuse or critique will shake that knowledge that I've received from God. Because I know that it's true, I don't have a single question about any other doctrine in the Church.

I have a testimony that if there's any doctrine you have a hard time wrapping your brain around or agreeing with, study the Book of Mormon. Trust the promise in Moroni 10:3-5 that you can get an answer if you study and ask with a sincere heart, faith in God, and real intent. I can promise you that strengthening your testimony of the Book of Mormon will carry you through all of the questions that you might have, "that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall." (Helaman 5:12)

I know that as I maintain my relationship with God and my testimony of the Book of Mormon, I won't fall. There's no way, and it's comforting to me to know that. I hope that if any of you are struggling or trying to figure things out, please read the Book of Mormon, and trust that God will answer your questions.

If you don't really know what the Book of Mormon is, please go here: https://www.mormon.org/beliefs/book-of-mormon. It will change your life.

This email went a little deeper than I thought it would, but it's just what I've been thinking about and for some reason it's what came out today. Thanks so much for letting me email you and I hope that you have a wonderful week!

I'll talk to you next week!

Love,
Sister Skousen




Post a Comment