WA Week 73 - Through Snow, Rain, Hail, and Fog

Good morning, everyone!

It's been a good week here in Yakima, Washington!

We met the Gates family on Monday and they are super sweet. They made us a delicious dinner and are some of the nicest people. They're really familiar with our Church and said they're very spiritual but don't attend a church. They said they'd be open to taking the lessons though, so we're going back to see them tonight!

Denise and Tyler are doing super great! We did a "stop smoking" lesson with them on Wednesday and so far they haven't smoked since then! Yay! Tyler's still set to get baptized next Wednesday. We are trying to decide though whether he'll be baptized into the Ahtanum Creek Ward or the YSA branch. He's coming to FHE tonightto see if he wants to come to the YSA.

Regina decided that she wants to be baptized in the family ward, so it turns out we won't be teaching her. :( We were sad that we don't get to teach her, BUT the important thing is that she's getting baptized!

A few of the most memorable moments from the week--
1. Getting the cops called on us when we parked our car in a trailer park and tried to find a less active member. Apparently we "looked suspicious." The cop was super nice though and loves missionaries! He told us to keep doing what we're doing. 
2. Realizing that the sun was still up at 4:30pm! Woooooh!
3. The temperature finally rising above freezing this week! Yayyyyy!

A fun little wrench that was thrown into our week was the CRAZIEST weather I've seen on my mission.

Over the course of the week we've had snow, ice storms, rain, fog, and hail! It's been crazy!
They cancelled school this week when we woke up to thick ice covering literally everything outside! A couple of our lessons fell through because people were afraid to leave their houses. People literally brought out ice skates and were skating in the streets!

 President Lewis didn't restrict us from going out, but he told us to just be wise and use our best judgment. Sister Christensen and I were able to get around without any problems. I think we actually had a little too much fun with the weather.


We also had a great zone conference this past week! Sister Christensen and I were able to give a short training on planning lessons.

My favorite part of zone conference was a training President Lewis gave on desire.

There's a quote he shared from Elder Dallin H. Oaks that I love:

"Desires dictate our priorities, priorities shape our choices, and choices determine our actions. The desires we act on determine our changing, our achieving, and our becoming."

If our desires are selfish, they lack power, and we achieve less. President Lewis encouraged us to start by establishing good desires, and he promised us that we will be able to become and achieve more. I figured out that my ultimate, top 3 desires that motivate me every day as a missionary are:

1. to become like Heavenly Father
2. to feel the joy that He feels
3. to be an instrument in His hands

It's kind of cool, because once I figured those out, I realized that those desires aren't limited to my time as a missionary. Those can be my motivating desires for the rest of my life. If I can keep them in mind, I know that I will change, achieve, and become more than I ever could if I was motivated by selfish desires.

This week, I want to challenge you all to ponder what your top 3 desires are, then set goals and make plans to help you reach them. I know that you'll feel have a much more rewarding, fulfilling life if you do!

I hope that you all have a wonderful week! Thanks for reading. :)

Love,
Sister Skousen 

Post a Comment