WA Week 74 - The News that Shook the World

Okay, maybe the title of this is a little dramatic, but it was all I could think of.
I don't know if y'all have heard, but missionaries around the world had some pretty big news this week that will completely change our world.

The first major announcement had to do with our schedules.

Our daily schedules are super structured. This is what every day of my life for the past 17 months has pretty much looked like:

Missionary Daily Schedule

6:30 am
Arise, pray, exercise (30 minutes), and prepare for the day.
7:30 am
Breakfast.
8:00 am
Personal study: the Book of Mormon, other scriptures, doctrines of the missionary lessons, and other chapters from PreacMy Gospel, the  MissionaryHandbook,  and the Missionary HealthGuide. 
9:00 am
Companion study: share what yohave learned during personal study, prepare to teach, practice teaching, study chapters from Preach My Gospel, confirm plans for the day.
10:00 a
Begin proselyting. Missionarielearning language study that language for an additional 30 to 60 minutes, including planning language learning activities to use during the day.
Missionaries may take an hour for lunch and additional studyand an hour for dinner at times during the day that fit best with their proselyting. Normally dinner should be finisheno later than 6:00 p.m. 
9:00 pm
Return to living quarters (unless teaching lesson; then return by 9:30) and plan the nexday’s activities (30 minutes). Write in journal, prepare for bed, pray.
10:30 p  
Retire to bed.

We had a huge announcement on Wednesday that made our schedules much more flexible. Each mission president has the ability to adapt the schedule to meet the needs of the mission, but this is a good example of what our new schedule could look like:

Inline image 1

So crazy! What I'm most excited about is that instead of planning right when we get home, we'll be able to immediately get ready for bed and plan in the morning. That's going to be so nice. And my favorite thing about the schedule changes is that P-Day will start at 8am on Mondays instead of 10am. So that's two more hours of P-Day! WOOOO!!! 

The next announcement that I think will completely change the way that we work has to do with our key indicators. Key indicators are numbers we record and report at the end of each week that are meant to help us focus on our purpose to invite people to come unto Christ. These are the key indicators that we've recorded and reported my whole mission:

Key Indicators to Record and Report

 
Investigators baptized and confirmed

 
Investigators with baptismal date

 
Investigators who attend sacrament meeting

 
Lessons taught to investigatorwith member present

 
Other lessons taught

 
Progressing investigators

 
Referrals received and contacted

 
New investigators

 
Lessons taught to recent converts and less-active members

And in my mission we've also recorded and reported lessons taught to active members and the number of times we talk to new people about the gospel.

The Church has changed it so that these are the only key indicators we'll report from now on:

 
Investigators baptized and confirmed
 
Investigators with baptismal date
 
Investigators who attend sacrament meeting
 

New investigators

It's already been so crazy not counting all of the lessons we teach and people we talk to. It allows for much more freedom on our part, because there won't be as many numbers to show that we're working. I've always loved key indicators because they've motivated me to work harder, but it'll be nice focusing everything around these key key indicators. We'll see how it changes the mission!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Besides that huge announcement, we've had a pretty exciting week!

I was super surprised and excited to get a call from the Randall Park elders telling me that my old investigator, Lexy, is going to be baptized on Friday! Yay! She and her boyfriend, John, will be married in the morning and then she will be baptized right after.

Tyler, our investigator we passed off to the YSA elders, was supposed to be baptized this Wednesday, but he has some problems he has to work through so he won't be baptized this week. We're hopeful that he'll be baptized soon though!

Saturday we also got TRANSFER CALLS. And it was crazy. I swear I can't have a normal mission. Sister Christensen and I knew that there was like a 95% chance we wouldn't be staying together because we both go home at the end of this transfer. I was also like 95% sure that I'd be released as an STL since I've been one for awhile and all of the English STLs go home with me, so this transfer there would have to be new ones called.

Sure enough, we got a call from President on Saturday, and we found out that I am getting transferred and I am getting released as an STL. It's been fun, but it'll be nice to have less things to worry about this transfer.

Something super exciting and crazy is happening to me! I'm going to be transferred back to my greenie area, Eastmont, in East Wenatchee! So I'll finish my mission in the area where I started it. I'm so excited. It's rare for that to happen, but President said he felt the Spirit really strongly that that is where I'm supposed to be. I'll be serving with an awesome sister named Sister Heffernan, and I'll be back in a walking area. Woo! One of my converts, Aldo, is in that area, and I'm hoping that I'll be able to help prepare him to go to the temple this transfer! I'm pretty excited, but so sad to be leaving Sister Christensen and the Yakima zone.

The Yakima Zone has a special place in my heart, but I'm excited to go back to the land of my birth these last 6 weeks!


I'm determined to make this the best 6 weeks of my mission, and I'm looking forward to finding lost sheep to bring into the fold. :)


I hope you all have a great week! Love you!

Love,
Sister Skousen

Post a Comment